Tasty plus healthy! These muffins are on my regular baking rotation as they are easy to make and are great to have on hand for a pre or post exercise food option. Prior to fitness I eat one of these on its own about one hour before my workout. As an after exercise snack I can add nut butter or a slice of cheese for extra protein. These muffins have a little more protein than the usual blueberry oatmeal muffin because of the addition of greek yogurt. Oatmeal adds fiber, and blueberries add YUM.
MIGHTY MUFFINS RECIPE:
· 2 cups organic all-purpose flour *(see note below regarding my choice of organic)
· 1 cup old fashioned oats
· 2/3 cup sugar
· 1 teaspoon baking powder
· 1 teaspoon baking soda
· 1/2 teaspoon salt
· 1 1/2 cups plain greek yogurt (2% or non fat)
· 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
· 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
· 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
· 1 cup frozen blueberries
1. Heat oven to 350°.
2. Grease muffin tins.
3. Combine flour, sugar, oats, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
4. Combine yogurt, eggs, butter, and vanilla in a second bowl.
5. Fold yogurt mixture into dry mixture; stir to combine completely.
6. Fold in blueberries.
7. Spoon into 12 muffin tins.
8. Bake until top is golden and sharp knife comes out clean, 20-25 minutes.
*I use organic wheat flour in all my baking. Choosing certified organic wheat flour ensures that glyphosate (found in Round Up) has not been sprayed on the wheat prior to harvesting. There is speculation that some people who experience issues with gluten are actually reacting to glyphosate. I prefer to choose products that are as natural as possible and buy organic foods as much as possible.
Enjoy your muffins and see you in the fitness world!